Laser And Intraocular Lens
LASER, which is the most commonly used method around the world for refractive surgeries, is also used for the treatment of myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism. Customized intraocular lens replacement surgeries are performed for people who are not suitable for laser surgery. You can get rid of your glasses thanks to these surgeries.
Who Can Have Laser Surgery?
• Those who are over 18 and use glasses or contact lenses,
• Those whose diopters have not changed more than 0.50 diopters during the last 1 year,
• Those who have myopia up to -10 diopters,
• Those who have astigmatism up to -6 diopters and hyperopia up to +4 diopters,
• Those who have a sufficient cornea tissue thickness,
• Those who do not suffer from systemic diseases such as diabetes or rheumatism,
• Those who do not suffer from any other eye diseases (cone-like bulging of cornea, eye pressure etc.),
• And those whose eye structure is found to be suitable for surgery based on the pre-operative examinations and procedures to be done can be treated with laser.
Laser Treatment at Dünyagöz
LASIK method is based on the principle of opening the cornea as a flap by cutting a thin layer on the upper surface of the cornea, and the diopter correction with “excimer laser” on the exposed cornea surface. At Dünyagöz Hospitals Group, surgeries are performed by doctors specialized in the treatment of eye diseases with laser.
According to the studies conducted at Dünyagöz Hospitals Group, the eyes of only 50% of those who would like to undergo laser surgery are eligible for treatment.
LASIK procedures at Dünyagöz are performed with laser devices which have been approved by the FDA (American Food and Drug Administration).
Excimer Laser treatment for refractive errors like myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism has been recognized in the medical community as a reliable method with known rules and results. Since the early 1980s, millions of people have benefitted from this treatment and were relieved of the limitations of wearing glasses or contact lenses that they encountered in their social and professional life. More than 31.4 million people around the world have been treated by this method since it first started to be used. The rate of success is nearly 98% if laser treatment is applied for eligible patients under the right conditions.
Misconceptions about Laser
Wrong: The reliability of laser treatment is not known.
Right: Laser treatment is a completely reliable, FDA-approved technology.
Wrong: One goes blind in 10 years following laser treatment.
Right: Laser technology has been in use since the 1980s. There is no risk of going blind.
Wrong: Cataract surgery is not possible after laser treatment.
Right: Laser surgery neither prevents nor results in a future eye treatment (including cataract surgery).
Wrong: Laser treatment is only for myopia. It cannot be used for astigmatism or hyperopia.
Right: Laser surgery can be performed successfully in eyes with myopia of 1 to 10 diopters or astigmatism or hyperopia of 1 to 7 diopters which are found to be suitable for laser.
Wrong: Laser treatment can be applied only once. If the eye’s diopter increases in the future, it is impossible to apply the treatment.
Right: Laser treatment can be applied for a second time if your eye structure is suitable for it.
Wrong: The retinal layer is damaged in laser treatment.
Right: Laser treatment is applied on the eye’s corneal layer. The retina cannot be damaged.
Wrong: Color blindness develops after laser treatment.
Right: Color blindness is impossible to develop after laser treatment.
Wrong: Laser treatment is painful with bleeding.
Right: Laser treatment is applied on the cornea, where there are no veins, and therefore is not an open procedure with bleeding. Pain is not felt during laser treatment since anesthetic eye drops are used.
Wrong: Eye drops should be used for a lifetime after laser treatment.
Right: Eye drops should be used for the first several months following laser treatment. However, lifetime use of eye drops is not necessary.
What should you be careful about at the hospital where you will have your laser surgery?
• The institution’s technological and hygienic infrastructure
• The physician’s experience and expertise in laser
• Availability of the entire technological infrastructure for laser treatment and tests
• All medical supplies including surgical gowns, injectors and special medication used during your surgery being personal and single-use
• Whether services are provided in all eye-related areas or not
Save for a lifetime with a one-time, 10-minute laser treatment.
Many ophthalmologists recommend that adults have an eye examination every year and renew their glasses. The glasses and contact lenses that we replace every year result in a waste of time and money without us even noticing. A pair of glasses cost somewhere between TL 200 and 1,500 on average. Similarly, lens wearers spend at least TL 400 every year for their lenses and complementary products. Considering these costs, the money spent to get rid of glasses with laser treatment is recovered in 1-2 years and results in significant savings in the following years. A person having laser treatment at 18 years of age saves nearly TL 21,600 during their lifetime.
Save Time with Laser
Laser treatments help you save not only money but also time. Research shows that a person using contact lenses spends 50 hours a year putting in and taking out the lenses. Time is one of the most valuable assets of our day; instead of wasting it, you can put your time to good use after laser treatment.
What Will Laser Change in Your Life?
• You will get rid of the discomfort caused by glasses and contact lenses once and for all.
• You will be able to see the time easily when you wake up in the morning or at night.
• You will have a natural appearance and sight without glasses or contact lenses.
• You will feel more comfortable and be more successful in sports activities.
• You will feel less discomfort from weather events like wind and rain.
• You will never have problems like misplaced contact lenses or broken glasses.
You can benefit from all these advantages with a 10-minute laser treatment.